At WABF24, we aim to connect promising early-stage African entrepreneurs to a powerful network of investors, mentors, and coaches to accelerate their growth, and provide them with resources they can use to develop into regional powerhouses.
As part of this initiative, the Wharton African Student Association is pleased to announce the 3rd Annual Venture Competition at this year’s conference. Contestants will submit an application outlining their start-up or idea, and we will select finalists to pitch to an experienced panel of judges and the audience at the conference.
If you believe that your idea has what it takes, please read through the eligibility details below. The application deadline is October 15, 2016 11:59 EST.
Announcing our finalists!
- Aspire Power Solutions: Aspire Power Solutions (APS) is a full-service renewable energy company currently focused on providing turn-key cost-effective, optimized, and reliable solar solutions for Africa. We offer project development, custom designs, financing, installation, monitoring and maintenance, leveraging energy data analytics.
- Dechets a l’Or: A tech enabled venture focused on solid waste management in secondary cities of West Africa. We collect and process waste to fuel the growth of cleaner cities and enable brighter futures. www.dechetsalor.com
- Dot Learn: Dot Learn is building a scalable localized education platform for Africa through an algorithm that reduces the file sizes of Khan Academy-style videos to 1MB/hr without any loss of quality. This enables video-based education at the data cost of WhatsApp. http://project.dotlearn.org
- BACprep: The first large-scale provider for affordable test prep services in Francophone Africa. www.bacprep.com
- Ginjan Bros: Ginjan Bros, LLC is a NY based beverage company that develops and brings to market traditionally inspired African beverages that are good for you. www.drinkginjan.com
- Iludio.com: Iludio.com is an online platform for Nigerian/Ghanaian weddings that helps turn your dream wedding into reality and simplifies planning with easy-to-use tools and resources. In addition, Iludio.com helps connect engaged couples and wedding professionals.
- OZÉ: OZÉ is the business adviser in the pocket of every African entrepreneur. It collects and analyzes transaction data to spot business problems as they emerge and sole them through data-driven recommendations, tailored mobile training, and personalized coaching. www.daretoinnovate.com/oze
The finalists gain…
- The opportunity to present in front of top Africa-focused VCs and leading minds in entrepreneurship
- Access to networking opportunities with others interested in African entrepreneurship
… and the grand prize winner receives $10,000 of funding for their venture